Welcome! The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal are organized into 5 major areas (see columns below) which were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore.
- Click on the links in the columns to find a “short list” of recommended online materials for that specific topic. The short list is five items that are found in the MERLOT collection. If you have other resources you recommend, please send to Cathy Swift.
- On each sub-page you can also link to a search of all items in MERLOT in that topic.
- Browse the full collection of over 1,800 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Find discipline-specific teaching strategies in each MERLOT Discipline Community Portal, “Teaching Tips” area (see listing in center of home page: www.merlot.org).